Subject: [Leica] LET'S SEE NOW...WHICH M-TELEPHOTO TO CHOOSE?
From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:16:48 -0700

Greetings LUGgers,

I have to assume that there have been more than a few of you, besides
myself, who have had to choose between the superlative 75mm M Summilux and
the new 90mm M AA Summicron.  Things that keep one tossing and turning all
night long and denying one even so much as a modicum of sleep 'til the
blasted "dilemma" is resolved.  I like symmetry.  So much so that if I had
chosen the 35mm ASPH 'lux instead of the 35mm ASPH 'cron, I likely would
have gone with the 75mm and 50mm Summilux (or, more likely, the Noctilux,)
lenses - and been ready to proclaim myself ready for any kind of low light
venture like some others on the LUG forum.  But, because I got the latest
50mm Summicron first - I ended up with the latest version of the other two
lenses , also in the Summicron genre.  Am I giving up quality?  I think not.
Am I happy?  Absolutely!  Would I have been happy with the 'lux trio?
Profoundly!  But to admit to more than a little hesitance to "mix" the
'luxes with the 'crons is almost an embarrassment.  Anyone else out there
have this "unbalanced"(or "balanced" - depending on your outlook) mentality?
Maybe it's just age that's got me thinking cockeyed.

Back to the M-telephotos.  Irwin's writings are a matter of record and most
complimentary of both the cited 75mm and 90mm lenses.  Technically, as we
all know, they are both superb pieces of glass.   Now that T Abrahamsson has
stepped out of the shadows to proclaim that he occasionally wields a NIKON F
gives me the courage to say that one of my all time favorite lenses for
intimate, people photography, bar none, was the Nikon 85mm 1.4.  A big,
heavy, hunk of glass it was,  but it's paper thin plane of focus wide open
produced shots for me that I still consider some of my best (people
pictures, that is) work.  For 35+ years I owned F/F2/F3/F4 Nikons and Nikkor
lenses- nary a zoom or a lens from another supplier.

As an aside, I've always had a bent for MF work and have owned a 6x7 camera
for almost 12 years (with a wide variety of lenses and many camera and
studio accessories) .  Lenses are slow though...and the camera is only used
on a tripod - nothing here to produce the lovely OOF backgrounds like the
35mm lenses we are talking about - try as I may!

Back to the M telephoto choice.  I used to feel the rush of creativity with
the Nikon  85mm 1.4.  I imagine that owners of the M 75mm 1.4 are having the
same experience (unabated joy!).  I got the 90AA and am wearing a "poop
smackin" grin of late...BUT... I am still envious of those who own the 75mm.
Only those who own both are able to consider the case closed.  BUT THEN,
WHICH OF THE TWO LENSES DOES ONE CARRY IF BOTH ARE AVAILABLE?  It's akin to
the basic pyramid of human needs...satisfy one need and voila!...another
appears as a refined offshoot..., albeit on a higher plane.  Such is the
human condition.

Regards to all,
John A.