Subject: Re: [Leica] summicron question -- go creative
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:13:23 +0100

> I'd like a lens to be as sharp as it can be.
>From
>babies to craggy old people. And I won't touch diffusion either...over a lens
>and god knows over an enlarger lens.
>But I will use softer lighting and faster film. Those are the techniques I
>like
>to not get the split ends on the ends of their nostril hairs maybe. IF they
>don't want them shown. Frankly when my nostril hairs get split ends (and
>grey)
>I'd like to show them to the woirld! AND the big pores in my nose!!! But
>I'm in
>the minority opinion on this one. Can't think of anyone who agrees with me on
>this one. The Chuck Close school of portraiture!
>Put the grid in! OK
>Mark Rabiner

Mark,

You can add me to the list. Showing whats there is a good thing!
When a person is 45 and thinks their picture should look like a 22 year
old model with 2 hours worth of make-up, I wonder (actually I'm kind of
past wonder anymore) just how perverted our societies sense of self has
become. Whats wrong with looking your age? What so bad about a few
wrinkles?

I get pretty sick of the constant exposure I have to this "I must look
like the magazines and TV tell me to look" attitude.

I think my best pictures are those that DO show whats there. And they are
flattering to the subject. But certainly not in the
media/advertising/MTV/Glamour sense.

And using softer film and lighting is the answer for me too. Fast film
and soft window light is a very wonderful combination.

Henry Ambrose