Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #46/straps
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:36:16 -0500

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:24:31 PDT
>From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [Leica] in search of perfect straps. . . . .
>
>     I hate to sound totally retro, but the last good strap I bought was in
>about 1968, made of heavyweight 1/2" wide leather, with a quick-release clip
>about 10 inches up from the camera. They were custom made and mass-marketed
>by a photojournalist of the time (whose name I don't remember). They were
>comfortable, soft, unobtrusive, could roll around a hand, stacked well (4
>cameras/one person--try that with a modern wide strap), and were quick to
>adjust to length (none of that "dumbell" junk). Fortunately I still have two
>of them, and recently bought parts to try to make a couple more. I wish
>someone still made them--if anyone knows of a source, please tell me!!!
>     --Michael Darnton

Those were probably the Schwalberg Straps, by Bob Schwalberg.  Later they
were sold as Strapateers.  I bought one for every one of my personal
cameras, and one for every camera in our photo department, and almost all
are still going strong.
The only caveat is that the clasp tends to put dings in the finish of the
camera.  Other than that, I think these were the best ever.  It'd be nice
if someone would make new ones.

Alan M-R