Subject: Re: [Leica] 19mmR lens
From: "Marthe & Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:24:33 -0400

Henry Ambrose wrote

>Can anyone tell me about the 19 R lens?
>How does it compare to the 24 ASPH M lens?
>Is it as wonderful? Spectacular? Amazing? Best you ever saw?
>Or?
>I'm thinking of letting the rest of my Nikon gear go and replacing it with
the R8.
>Are there any users who can compare the 19 Leica to the Nikon 20mm?

Henry,

 I was fortunate enough to borrow a well used 19R from a friend for a few
days.  I tried it on my wife's R7.  It was amazing.  I was in the process of
selling my Nikon gear at the time but still had a F90x (Canadian N90s), a
Nikkor AF 20mm and a few other lenses on hand.  Wide open the 19R was much
better (contrast, sharpness, distortion, you name it) and I always though
that the 20 was one of Nikon's best lens.  The 20mm and the 85/1.4 were the
two last Nikon lens I sold because I liked them so much. My friend also had
traded his Canon outfit for R gear. He felt that the 19R was significantly
better than the Canon 20mm.

Although this evaluation was subjective and limited to a few days of picture
taking, it is my opinion that the 19R is the better lens. The 19R is on my
list of future acquisition. The only reason I don't own one is that I'm
still debating between the 21mm ASPH for my M6 or the 19R for the R8.
Haven't had a chance to try the 21mm ASPH yet.

Regards

Rene