Subject: Re: [Leica] Garry Winogrand
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:10:48 -02-30

Sorry for coming to this one so late, but here is a story.

20 years ago, two young photographers from St. John's set off to find their
fame and fortune as photo journalists. One went to art school and studied
photography and journalism. The other signed on with a wire service and got
some very serious "on the job" training in central America... and later at
a large metro daily newspaper.

A number of years later they had returned to their home town. Each teaching
the other what they had learned from the roads they had chosen.

I didn't "get" Winogrand.  I "got" Strand, Brassai, Frank, Lange and Lewis
Hine...but not Winogrand.

After 20 years and many pints of Guinness lubricating many animated
discussions in the pub.  Mixed with a complete understanding of the failure
and weakness of "newspaper photography".... I GET" Winogrand!!!  ..as weird
and wonderful as it is to the eye of a cynical,  "news" photographer.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart