Subject: Re: [Leica] Gossen Luna Pro
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:50:32 -0700

At 5:33 PM -0700 5/1/00, Lucian Chis wrote:

>I may be confusing the F with the SBC as far as range is concerned;
>HOWEVER, I know a guy who had some slide shots ruined after he used not
>the Luna Pro F or Digital or the SBC, but the Ultra Pro. He complained and
>sent the unit to be serviced; He was told +/-1/3 stops is within factory
>specifications and they sent it back to him. He had a shoot in Africa on
>a safari for some government. Needless to say he doesn't use a Gossen now.
>So I was referring to the real world, not paper.
>AS far as I know, Minolta makes a more accurate meter by far, and I am
>waiting for the opportunity to replace my SBC with Flash attachment.

I don't think you'll find that any meter is _accurate_ to better than +/-
1/3 stop. That is sufficient for almost any purpose. Repeatability and
resolution are different matters. You want greater than +/- 1/3 stop
repeatability, and as Jim has mentioned, the Gossen has 0.1 stop resolution
(as do most digital meters). I'm afraid that if that guy you know had shots
'ruined' by relying on a meter that he obviously wasn't familiar with, he
had only himself to blame. Every meter measure slightly differently, and
you have to test them to see what they do for you in the way you handle
them. Sounds to me as if your acquaintence was looking for an excuse. I
have a couple of Gossens, a number of Sekonics and a Minolta. They are all
'good', and one brand is not more 'accurate' than another. Some might be
more convenient in some circumstances than another, and some have different
functions (spot, general ambient/flash, colour, LF film plane).

This 'accuracy' thing is a red herring.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com