Subject: [Leica] R6 reliability
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 08:52:03 +0200

|There is always a lot of discussion about the R8 - does anyone use the R6? I
|had a serious look at this and it seems to be a great camera. The prices
|second-hand are very low. Is there as problem with it?

I used two R6's last year in India (11 months full-time photography). I
loved the cameras despite their limitations (slow flash synch mainly) and
the meter readings were very reliable and accurate. BUT - they both failed
on me, due to heat and rain. Then again, maybe I shouldn't have gone out in
the rain. But that would have meant four months of not taking pictures!
I liked them a lot, but am now using M's with the same lens combo, although
I hardly expect them to be more reliable in extreme conditions - I swapped
because I was getting too many out of focus shots with the R's.
I have heard (maybe on this list) that the R6 shutter mechanism is harder
to service than the R6.2. This would be a consideration for me.
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36
41100 Modena