Subject: [Leica] The happiest 40 year old boy in the world
From: Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:54:33 +0100

After reading all the posts from people who have reported their
experiences of opening the boxes to their new M6 and assorted lenses, I
wasn't sure if I had perhaps lived my excitement through the experiences
of others - and therefore that my box opening would be somewhat of an
anti-climax.

Well, WAS I WRONG!!!  As with those who have written their experiences
before, few things in life have provided me with such a feeling of
anticipation and ultimate satisfaction than opening the lid of the boxes
enveloping my new chrome M6 .85 TTL, the 35mm f/2 ASPH and the 50mm f/2
(90 APO ASPH is on order).

The feel, the perfect weight and the balance of the M6, the satisfying
click as the 50mm f/2 gently locks onto the body and the absolute
euphoria created by holding the ragnefinder to the eye and focussing for
the first time are all memories that I shall always remember.  No other
camera has provided such a feeling - of holding something new that owes
much of its simplicity, technology and excellence to another era.

After a first botched attempt, I loaded the film properly.  I bough a
book with the camera (Leica M6-TTL by Richard Hunecke (umlaut over the
u)) and the 176 pages provided me with everything I needed to know on my
first evening with the M6.  In the case of loading film, trust the
camera is the advice.  Thread it, pass it into the three prongs so that
it protrudes a little at the other side, shut the back, wind, fire, wind
(check rewind crank rotates and if so film is properly threaded), fire,
wind and ready to go with the counter at 1.  The book is truly excellent
and will ensure that I do not ask basic operating questions of the group
but rather ones of technique and experiences.

As for focussing, the -0.5 diopter lens is excellent and coupled with
the viewfinders in-built -0.5 adjustment makes the image pin sharp for
me.  I do find it easier to focus with both eyes open, only shutting my
left eye of I need to look at the 35mm frame lines.

I could go on but I want to get back to holding my camera, waiting
patiently until enough light breaks the horizon so that I can shot some
more film.  Got some Tri-X, some HP5 and some Kodak 100VS slide film and
I am looking forward to seeing my first results which I hope to post up
on a web site (seeking critical appraisal if anyone would be so kind as
to provide some).

Thanks to everyone who answered my initial questions while I waited for
my baby to arrive, and apologies to anyone to whom I did not answer.  I
hope to speak to all of you more regularly now that I am a true Leica
user.

As for the cost, as my father always says when referring to quality
items - "The pleasure that you get from your purchase will be there long
after the pain of paying for it has worn off".

Simon