Subject: Re: [Leica] b.d. we hardly knew ye....
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 15:03:44 -0700

B.D. Colen was the editor of the George Washington University student
newspaper while I was an undergraduate at the nearby University of
Maryland, in the late 1960's. He did some fabulous stuff about the
Vietnam war, and the GW student newspaper (was it "The Hatchet?") was
widely regarded as the best source in town for war and war-protest news.
(This in a town that contained the Washington Post). I

He won a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting in 1984 when he was at
Newsday. I don't know his career path after the GW student newspaper
and before Newsday. He must once have written for the Washington Post,
because I remembered his name on the Post's articles about Karen Ann
Quinlan.  As far as I know he's still at Newsday, though I'm not
exactly in their subscription area these days.

I have vague memories of meeting him in the Spring of 1969 at some
protest march or other; I usually took my camera downtown in D.C.  to
photograph such things. I believe he and I were in the same graduating
year (1970), but I was at U of M and he was at GW, 15 miles away.

Brian Reid