Subject: RE: [Leica] b.d. we hardly knew ye....
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 15:05:17 -0400

Yes, Fred, you are absolutely right:

I am the first to note that I shared a Pulitzer for General Local Reporting
in 1984 - nothing related to photography - and I have NEVER, EVER, here or
anywhere else stated otherwise, and never would. The paper, Newsday, credits
me and Kathy Kerr as the two principals. We were the "team leaders," which
meant it was our story until, in a final orgy of Pulitzer-mania, Newsday
threw about a half-million reporters onto a big Sunday piece. I wrote the
ethics stuff, Kathy wrote the ongoing news stuff.

I would also NEVER claim, Brian's kind, kind words aside, that the GW Hachet
had great coverage of the war. It did have VERY good coverage of a number of
the major anti-war demonstrations, as many of them ended by sweeping the GW
campus. And I would definitely claim that it had the best coverage of that
kind of any of the Washington-area student papers.

I don't necessarily agree with all the picks on your "best of" list, but
that's why Howard Johnson's used to have 28 flavors. While Harrison
Salisbury's coverage from North Vietnam had enormous impact, I believe he
was, to an important degree, used as a propaganda tool by the North. But all
those you named wrote some brilliant stuff. Sheehan's book, A Bright Shining
Lie, MUST be read by anyone who wants to begin to understand the war. And
the Library of America series is, as you noted, truly terrific. Sitting down
with it now, these 25 years after the end of the war, brings it back as few
other things can. There is another incredible book, primarily about
Halberstam, Sheehan and Browne, and the early reporting of the war and its
impact on the war...It's written by a former Wash Post reporter, whose name
escapes me at the moment, but its a fascinating account.

As to Ward Just, he did great Vietnam work, but I believe that it is as a
novelist - since his return - that he really shines.

B. D.