Subject: [Leica] Response to all the answers about M6 metering
From: Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 13:58:02 +0100

In order not to extend an already long thread, I thought I would reply
to all the responses I have had about the metering on the M6 in a new
message.

Thank you to everyone for your replies to my initial question.  I seem
to have started something here although I was not criticising the
accuracy of either the F5 or the M6, I just wanted to know why the
meters seemed to sugest different settings.

I have tested against a grey card in direct sunlight at ISO125 f/16 and
both registered 125/sec.  So, they are both accurate.  However, it seems
the F5 in other circumstances (such as not looking at an exactly 18%
grey scene) makes some decision based on its computer brain.  I have
always found the metering excellent on the F5.

With the M6, I have to be the brain, which is the reason that I bought
it - to get back to basics and understand the mechanics of the
photographic process.  I like the advice about not using the meter at
all and using the sunny 16 rule with varations for overcast, hazy, etc.
weather conditions.  Definitely something to try and see if I can use
the experience of working it out for myself when interpreting what the
M6 meter is saying to me.

Thanks again.

Simon