Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R sounds intriguing
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 09:17:27 +1000

Henry and George are thinking R8-ish thoughts.

Guys, did you notice the way all of the important camera controls fall
right under your fingers?  Like the meter mode switch, the program mode
switch, the exposure compensation swing dial, the mirror lock up switch,
depth of field and flash metering lever, ....  Its all there, a single
control for each function. No multifinger combination pushes needed.
Excellent.  I remember a Leica rep making a point of the tactility of
the R8 when I first picked it up.  I didn't get the point just then, but
boy, do I appreciate the control layout now.

People must get tired of hearing it all the time, but this R8 camera
really is a gem.

My apologies to those who think it's too big.  I'm only 5'7 (and a half
on good days!) with hands like a girl and I think it's just fine.

Just got the motor drive.  Wow!  It was so quick in advancing the film
yesterday that I took a third photo of a team before the flash had
recharged.  Not being familiar enough with the different sound of the
motor from the winder (the motor seems quieter, the sound has less
duration), when the camera clicked but the flash didn't fire, I was a
little confused. Without really knowing what had happened, I pressed the
remote again to lock the mirror up, told the U14's to say 'twistee' once
more, and fired.  I got a flash with 'TTL OK' beeps, meaning a third
good shot was in the can.

Regards

Rick (should be posting this on Merry Mercredi!) Dykstra