Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 self-timer
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 12:04:12 -0600

The self-timer was removed from the M cameras starting with the M4-2. The
reason given was to accommodate the new motor drive mechanism. I have seen
M2s and M3s that have been modified for the new style winder mechanism and
still have the self-timer so perhaps it was largely for the cost savings.
Few people realise how close we came to losing the M camera during the
seventies. With the M6 and M6TTL the battery compartment and electronics
take up all the spare space. If they actually do make a M6AE, it would be
relatively easy to incorporate a self-timer in the shutter electronics. You
can buy accessory self-timers that screw into the shutter release just like
a cable release. I love mechanical self-timers with their buzzing sound and
inconsistent timing. The self-timer sprint is still an Olympic event in our
household!

John Collier