Subject: Re: [Leica] CL Meter Operation?
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 22:02:52 -0500

Skip -

The CL meter is very much a spot meter.  Try it with a bright light fairly
close, move the camera to bring the light in and out of the rangefinder spot
and notice how rapidly the meter readings climb and drop.

The rangefinder spot has rounded ends.  If you imagine these extending around
in a full circle, that's the area metered with a 90mm lens.  For the 40mm lens
it's about twice as large.  This per the owner's manual, p.15, which does not
indicate whether the measuring area with the 40mm lens is twice as wide (4x the
area) or 1.4x wide (which would be 2x the area.)  We frustrated mathematicians
think of problems like this.  In actual operation, you're measuring a
relatively small spot in the center of the field of view, and you center the
meter needle in the notch in the middle of the right edge of the viewfinder to
get proper exposure (at least what the meter thinks will be proper exposure.)

The proper battery check procedure is to rotate the shutter speed dial until a
pointer appears in the cutout in the top right edge of the viewfinder field.
Then press the battery test button, the small chrome one at the 5 o'clock
position next to the lens, and if the meter needle moves down into the cutout
in the middle of the right hand edge of the viewfinder, the battery is OK.

Hope this helps.  An owner's manual is a useful investment for these cameras.
I got mine from John Craig (www.craigcamera.com).

Cheers,
Kip