Subject: manual focus wildlife action (was: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 14 May 2000 07:11:03 -0700

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Simon Lamb wrote:

> so that I can understand how non AF people operate is fast > action, what are
> your (and the groups) opinion on this.
>
> You are tracking a lioness stalking a hers of wildebeest and you know that you
> are going to see a high speed hunt in action. Suddenly the lioness accelerates
> and gives chase, dodging this way and that as a single young wildebeest tries to
> evade capture.  The action is happening realtime and sometimes the animals are
> passing behind trees.
>
> Do you use your super SLR with predictive AF, focus lock-on so that you don't
> refocus when the action goes behind obstacles, colour metering so you can forget
> about exposures as they will be spot on and high shutter speeds because you has
> 400 film in the camera and don't have time to change rolls.  You get 36 frames of
> action captured in about 4 seconds, five seconds to change to new film, and off
> again.
>
> OR
>
> M6 or R8 rangefinder/manual focus camera with none of the above.
>
> Now, don't shoot me down in flames.  As I have said, my new M6 is great and I
> love it but it is not the tool for the job IMHO for the scenario above.  My F5
> is.  So, as so many have said before, the picture counts and I know what will
> give me the best chance of getting it.
>
> I would be interested in finding out how others with M6 or R8 would approach this
> situation.  I know that many have said they were sports action photogs before AF
> existed, so I would be interested to learn of any techniques that could work in
> this type of scenario.
>
> Simon

Simon,

My assumption in the scenario you've presented is that the photographer is using one of N****'s long, fast AF lenses on a solid tripod, possibly with a Wimberly tripod head.  Supposedly an ideal equipment setup.

First, I'd ditch the tripod.  Wildife action doesn't happen in predictable locations, as it might on a racetrack or a playing field.  It may be in front of me, to either side, above or behind me.  My 400mm and 560mm lenses are hand-held lenses, using a shoulder stock.  I've tripped over tripods too often, and lost too many shots moving the tripod, to consider using one aside from static situations.

Second, I'll ditch a lens that's too heavy to use hand-held.  Leica's f/6.8 Telyts will do quite nicely: a simple two-element acromat at the end of a long aluminum tube make a very light-weight lens.

Third, a traditional concentric-ring focus control is out.  Use a sliding-focus lens like the Novoflex or Leica f/6.8 Telyts.  With a little practice they're intuitive.

Fourth, use a viewfinder to die for.  Best choice is a Leicaflex SL or SL2, the next best is the Leica R8.  Fortunately both the Leicaflex and the R8 are big enough that I can keep a solid grip on the camera as I'm following the wildlife going through their activities.

Fifth, keep the camera simple enough that I can't inadvertantly set the wrong AF or metering mode.

I'm using the f/6.8 Telyts and Leicaflex SL camera bodies for my wildlife photos.  The focus is quick and positive no matter what the background is, no matter where the critter is in the viewfinder, even when the animal ducks behind a bush.  I've only used an R8 for a day, and with familiarity (and the right diopter setting!) it would be as easy to use as the SL.  I can track fast action with ease, swinging the hand-held lens around far more easily than walking around a tripod, and don't have to hunt for stable footing for the tripod.  If I can stand, sit or lie down, I've got a stable lens.  The lens can be used at shutter speeds as slow as 1/60 sec (400mm) with excellent results.  The SL's selective meter, a dumb CdS meter cell, has consistently given me excellent results on chrome film.

I've been in groups of photographers where the advantages of the fast-handling manual equipment made the difference between getting the picture and missing it because due to tripod fumbling or incorrect meter/AF/motor mode settings.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!