Subject: RE: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:26:32 -0400

Aw, come on...THE Life photographer at Omaha Beach, Robert Capa, got some
iconic images - but I would argue that they are iconic images precisely
because they came from the early hours of Omaha Beach...to argue that he
wouldn't have done infinitely better - under those circumstances - if he
could have kept the cameras dry enough - with a couple of F5s  or EOS1nVs
and wide aperture AF zoom lenses, is ludicrous on its face. Yes, manual
focus cameras are wonderful tools. Yes, Leica rangefinders are wonderful
tools. But some tools are better for some sorts of photography than other
tools. And on Omaha Beach, an autofocus, motordriven, matrix metered, tool
that would let the photographer simply concentrate on making the image and
saving his skin, would have been INFINITELY better.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
Reply from Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)