Subject: RE: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Michael Scarpitti <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 18:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
wrote:
> [...]

I didn't say that. Where does that leave you and me,
who left photopgraphy as a "profession" to make MUCH
better money elsewhere? I've been there and done that.
I'm damned good with a camera. But I'm never ever
going to be a pro again.
But who does that leave in the profession? Those who
can stand to work for miserable pay. Those who are
self-employed (and use soft-focus filters and "do
weddings"). Need I say more? Many, many doctors and
dentists I know are damned good photographers. They
have the time, equipment, and resources to do so.

My opinions of pros and wannabe pros is based on YEARS
of experience meeting and talking to them. They're
often dedicated, hard-working, and loyal to their
clientele. The most successful are always ahead of the
pack, not followers of the latest fashion. One of the
most successful portrait/wedding photographers in my
area was a jazz saxophone player before he turned
"pro". He gets BIG bucks for weddings, and does such
things as scouting the locales a week before hand to
see where the shadows fall, etc. Nothing is left to
chance.

On the other hand, many pros and semi-pros don't get
it. They buy F5's with their 80-200's, resting on a
Bogen tripod, and shoot Velvomita. That this is NOT
the way to go never dawns on them.

Then there are the nature guys. Tall, sometimes with
glasses, with their arms cradling on their F4 or F5
with a 600mm lens, wearing their photo vests, with
longish hair and a neatly trimmed beard.

In short, the typical pro is either someone who is so
gifted that he would be succesfull at anything he
tried, and is wildly sucessful because he knows where
the bucks are (maybe 5%), or is a hack with a Nikon
who earns a "living" following the latest trends
(95%). That my 2 cents worth.