Subject: Re: [Leica] rangefinder adjustment - long - longer!
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 00:17:07 -0600

The three screws are almost exactly as you described. The third screw with
the eccentric behind the rangefinder's arm limits the "inward" travel of the
rangefinder arm and the thin "flap" off the rangefinder pivot that contacts
this same third adjustment limits the "outward" travel. So we can limit the
rangefinder's movement, not something that we need lose sleep over, and we
can also adjust the roller's vertical position by bending the arm. These
adjustments are factory set and only need readjusting after catastrophic
events such as we have nightmares about. Let us disregard them. The roller
is indeed on a eccentric screw and it does the fine adjustment of the
rangefinder's arm rotational position. The rangefinder arm is attached to
the rangefinder mechanism at the pivot end by yet another eccentric. This
one has a lock screw and the eccentric is adjusted by moving the slotted
tab. This adjusts the range of rotation a given lens cam movement will
impart by changing the length of the arm. A shorter arm gives more rotation
and a longer arm gives less rotation. One checks the rangefinder at
infinity, at 10 meters and at 1 meter. One has to adjust the length of the
arm so that when the roller eccentric adjustment is done to give correct
indication at infinity, the other two are correct as well. It is a Zen
thing. The factory and distributors do not use lenses to do this but a
special jig with a mount for the camera and a target with all the various
marks so you can do the above adjustments and more. The rangefinder arm is
worked with a special tool that mounts on the lens bayonets and has stops
for each of the three measuring points. Cool. The more I learn about this
the more inclined I am to leave it alone ;-). One could easily rig up
targets at fixed distances but one would have to use a ground glass to
compare focus between the rangefinder and the film plane. I hope this has
helped to clear things up somewhat. After a good solid whack, it is not
unusual for the infinity indication to be off. Commonly people then reset
the roller position to correct things. I do not know what actually gets
shifted but it is reasonable to assume that range of rotational movement
does not need to be changed, so we do not have to adjust the length of the
arm, but that the infinity just needs to be reset by adjusting the roller. A
very long winded reply to say: Yes, tweak the roller eccentric for minor in
service adjustments.

John Collier

> From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>

Dig it up yourselves. If I quoted the thing this message would be ridiculous
in length! :-)

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] rangefinder adjustment - long - longer!)