Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W in high contrast situations
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 19:33:23 -0600

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> What's the best way to shoot black and white in bright mid-day light? I tried
> using Ilford Pan F ISO 50 in that situation (Rajastan)  recently and came
> away with much to much contrast and worse,  completely blocked shaddows.
> What's the best film to use in this situation?  What's the best exposure
> strategy?  How do you "pull" film? Is that a good way to go? Thanks for your
> help. Arthur.

Tmax 400 exposed at 100 and processed with Xtol per Kodak's
recommendations works well in harsh lighting situations. I shot a lot of
TMY like this while travelling through the old oasis towns along the
Silk Road. A 1:1 dilution of Xtol is maybe a bit smoother-looking than
I'd like and today I'd prefer a 1:3 dilution of instead.

Here's a few of the photos I took on Tmax 400:
http://www.boulder.net/~4season

The exterior shot on my home page was done in the early afternoon sun
and it was scorching hot that day! These web images were mostly
unmanipulated and these, along with my first prints are kind of
muddy-looking, but the most recent prints on Oriental Seagull are
looking very nice indeed (I've been using lots of RP-F resin-coated
paper; the fiber-based Oriental Seagull--actually fiber-based prints in
general--is new to me and is giving me fits because the dried prints
have rippled edges and dimples!)

- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado