Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W in high contrast situations
From: "Takeshi Hashimoto" <hashimoto.takeshi@mailcity.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 04:06:03 -1100

- --

On Mon, 15 May 2000 19:33:23
>ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> What's the best way to shoot black and white in bright mid-day light?
>Tmax 400 exposed at 100 and processed with Xtol per Kodak's
>recommendations works well in harsh lighting situations. I shot a lot of
>TMY like this while travelling through the old oasis towns along the
>Silk Road. A 1:1 dilution of Xtol is maybe a bit smoother-looking than
>I'd like and today I'd prefer a 1:3 dilution of instead.

Not to throw water on the previous respondent, I'd suggest staying away from TMY except in studio sitations. You might try FP4 in Acutol, if you can find it (Acutol). This developer is mfrd in Britain, and is now imported into the US by Tiffen. Your film speed should be about EI 160, if I'm not mistaken. Great stff!