Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Jlaird@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:26:07 EDT

In a message dated 05/16/2000 3:05:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:

> ><Snip> I hope this subject is gone by
>  > >  then! I may even take some photos in the meantime!
>  > >
>  > >  Cheers,
>  > >
>  > >  Lucian
>  >
>  > Ditto,
>  >   Hey, I'm new to this list, but I've used Nikon, Leica, Canon, Pentax,
>  > Konica, and anything else I could find over the years that would help me
> take
>  > a better photograph. I've tried Medium format (Hasselblad, Rollei, even
>  > Kowa), large format, started with manual focus, tried auto focus (Nikon
F5,

>  > F100, EOS 1, 1n, etc., etc.) even digital lately, which I find
intriguing
> but
>  > a little raw. I currently use Canon for long lenses and macro but I
prefer
> my
>  > M3 with a 35, 50 or 90 for most work. Truth is I'm a whore like most of
> use,
>  > I'll do anything for a good photograph, and it doesn't matter what
camera
>  > use to get it. I've taken good shots and bad shots with all of the
above,
> am
>  > personally somewhat disappointed with AF because it hasn't delivered
what
>  > thought it promised...that being the ability to focus INSTANTLY on what I
>  > wanted it to and track it into the next county. I've been disappointed...
> but
>  > I've occasionally shot a picture I loved. And the next day my wife would
> show
>  > me a shot she got at a water garden tour with her Olympus Stylus ZOOM for
>  > god's sake that would knock my socks off...it looked like a damned
Matisse.

>  >
>  >   Truth is I find all this talk of Leica Vs Nikon Vs Canon Vs whatever
> rather
>  > boring...I'd hoped for more from this list. And I don't care if this
> OUTRAGES
>  > all of you and you kick me off this list. We could all take great
pictures
>  > with a Kodak Brownie if we worked at it. But we all have this fondness
for
>  ><Snip>  up.
>  >
>  > Jim
>  Thank you Jim Laird I'm sure we're all glad you told us your reason for de
>  cloaking before you vanished into your negative energy black cloud!
>  We all hold are heads in shame for disappointing you!
>  I'm sure we all on the list apologize for forcing you to read the clearly
> marked
>  "OT Nikon F5" posts.
>  Personally I find comparisons between systems types and cameras
occasionally
>  enlightening and reminds me as to why I value my choices in gear (Leica M)
> in
>  the first place. IF it were me I would have not put the "OT" on it if I
> started
>  the thread.
>  Thanks for the very positive good-by it's always nice to know there are
> lurkers
>  out there who are better off lurking.
>  Had I not liked the thread I'm sure it would be impossible for to just
> delete
>  them I'm sure.
>  Mark Rabiner

So sorry, I hang my head in shame for daring to agree with Lucian that this
thread is useless. Seems like some of us have maybe a touch too much coffee
at 3 a.m. :) I appreciate the friendly welcome. And I still think comparisons
between apples and oranges are just comparisons between apples and oranges.

Jim