Subject: [Leica] Re: AF
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 05:06:32 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> wrote:

> But it sucks big time if you know the "craft" of photography and want
> to focus on a "specific" spot because that will give you the precise
> DOF that you want. In fifty years, I've not yet found a use for AF. I
> personally like to control my photographic result. I don't want a
> computer algorithm dreamed up by some programmer sitting in a
cubicle,
> to attempt to focus for me.

This reminds me...  I had a hard time focusing my M6 this past week.
My subject was a dozen or so vertical pipes that were part of a
sculpture.  I had a really hard time telling which pipe was being
superimposed on which pipe in the rangefinder.  I focused on the edge,
and then tried to adjust focus, but the end result was a failure.  I
didn't get focus where I wanted.

This is the first time I've had a really difficult time finding focus
and then ending up with something totally different than I expected.
Any suggestions?