Subject: Re: [Leica] OT-Rodinal at 1:100?
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:23:01 EDT

Douglas, I have been using Rodinal 1:100 for many years. Not all the time,
but for certain things it works very well. I usually run it for 20min at 68F
and the good thing is that you can throw a bunch of disparate films in the
tank! T-Max 100, Tri-X, Delta 100, APX 25 and the odd roll of Orwo 22 Din,
they all come out fine and will give you printable negs. The extreme dilution
does tame the contrast. Agitation is critical, Rodinal will kick up a lot of
contrast if you overagitate. For normal contrast I do 20-30 sec initially and
a couple of 'Shake and Roll" every 30 sec. For high contrast scenery, beach
in bright sun, white buildings in bright light, I agitate 5-7 sec every
60sec. As with any advice, your personal style will determine who well it
works. Shoot a couple of rolls with the films you intend to use and try out
the developing. Two or three rolls of trial films will teach you more than
all the descriptions you could read. If you use one of the newer emulsions,
T-Max,Delta etc I would forgo an acid stop-bath. Just a quick 2 changes of
water prior to fixing. The extremely thin emulsion layers of the modern films
can "pin-hole" when you use an acid stop.
Tom A