Subject: RE: [Leica] Filter for hospital shots
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:04:22 -0400

I presume you mean for color photography, but what films do you anticipate
using?

As the father of two and the husband of an obstetrician, I know a bit about
these matters.  First of all, labor and delivery rooms may be out-fitted
with a variety of lights with a broad spectrum of color temperatures.  At
the moment when each of my children were born, the lights in the room were
dim and the scene of action was illuminated by a single lamp with an
exceptionally cold light, much cooler than standard fluorescent tubes.  Your
room may be different.  Also, if you are fortunate enough to have your child
born during day and the room has a window, you may have a significant
component of daylight of unknown quality.  One more thing is that in my
experience, newborns do not photograph well in color, they will show an
exceptional and unpleasant red.

Where all of this leads me is to recommend that you record the event in
black and white.  It is my personal feeling that black and white will
provide you with more endearing and intimate memories of a very special
moment.  Using black and white also obviates the filter question.  You can
pack a variety of different speed films and load the appropriate one at the
moment...believe me, you'll probably have plenty of warning.

For a fine example of black and white photography in the labor room, I
suggest you visit B.D. Colen's "A Day in Your Life" site and you will see
examples of labor and delivery starring a nameless mother as well as my wife
the spouse-pod. My wife is the one in the mask.  We can ask B.D. to post the
URL if the pictures are still posted.

	Buzz Hausner