Subject: 100 R Macro (was [Leica] 60 Macro Elmarit-R)
From: Arthur Leyenberger <larthurl@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:42:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ferrel Anderson wrote..
<<my 100 APO Macro Elmarit-R lenses to be
my best lenses.  The APO lens was the best for
resolution, but we're talking about
gilding the lilly here.  If I were reduced to one
lens, I would keep the 60.>>

Ferrel do you  or anyone know why does Leica use
another lens, in front of the 100mm macro, to achive
life size when other manufacturers use an
extension tube to get to 1:1 ratio (life size) with
their macro lenses?
I've always thought the more glass (additional lenses,
filters, etc.) you put in front of your prime lens,
the more degraded the image will be. I guess Leica has
a reason for doing it this way.

.....Art in NJ, USA