Subject: RE: [Leica] streets and other...
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:41:06 -0400

	[BOB KRAMER]  I don't think so.  Documentary photography is not
Street Photography.  Good SP transcends the physical reality of the people,
place and time of the image, and taps into something more profound, more
universal; something that shakes us on an unconscious "gut" level, and
resonates within us right here and now, even if the image was taken 80 years
ago.

	What makes good SP work is not JUST the people or the times, but the
entire composition of the image, and how the people are expressed within the
image and supported within that composition.  This is where that "decisive
moment" thing starts to come into play to create a zen-like essence to the
entire image.  A synergy where all parts of the image are placed to
perfection and integral to what the photographer is trying to express.

> think of how many iconic images are essentially street
> photographs (eisenstadt's 'sailor kissing a girl,' for example)

	[BOB KRAMER]  I think this falls more under the category of
Photojournalism.  Eisenstadt was telling a story, or trying to sum up an
historical event in an image or series of images.  The image remains fixed
in that place and time, and loses much of its power when viewed out of the
context of that place and time.  This is one reason Eisenstadt's work does
not affect me as deeply as the work of HCB, Kertez, Frank, Koudelka, etc.
Eisie's shot is very good, but it pales in comparison to the work of the
photogs just mentioned, IMO.

	As an example of good SP, check out the following from our very own
kyle cassidy:

	http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/pad/10/neighborhood.jpg

	What is kc trying to say about this woman?  I don't know that he is
trying to saying anything about her at all.  But what he is saying with this
photo on another level could go on for a while.

	Not to leave any worthy LUGGERS out here, John "Deadman" Brownlow
hits the nail on the head quite often as well with his work.  But there
certainly are other people showing SP work on the internet who aren't very
successful at all.  A photo of someone, anyone, just walking down the street
is a pretty lame attempt at SP.  To be good, it needs to dig a whole lot
deeper than that.  Even the noble Leica won't help you out here!   ;-)

	Bob Kramer
	Atlanta, GA