Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 09:24:45 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/00 1:10:48 AM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

<< But that's what I do! As I've said repeatedly on the SP list, the easiest
way to be inconspicuous is to do it openly. I walk around with a couple of
leicas, ten feet away from people. They know I'm there... even if only
afterwards. I don't habitually practise what we tend to call 'stealth'
photography...>>

Just another indication that we're not as far apart on this topic as the
frequency of posts would suggest . . .

> 1.) Would most street photographers be comfortable showing their photos to
> subject . . .

Yes, in many cases. But in the case of HT I would only want to do this if
they could see the pictures in context with all the others.>>>

Have you ever had anyone find your website, recognize themselves and contact
you? If so, what did they think?

<<The difference between
(my) SP and doc is that SP is not about finding interesting characters on
the street (despite all the garbage that is shot of hapless street people by
wannabe SPs) but about finding momentary configurations and insights in the
raw stuff out there. >>

Is there some reason to think you couldn't find momentary configurations and
insights while following someone around? I've done a few
workshops/teaching/photo coaching and I've always preached "working a
situation" & waiting for the moments so it's hard to think outside of that
mantra . . .

Also, your allusions to "wanna-be" street photographers goes right to the
heart of what I've been trying to say. I really do think we agree more than
we're seeing . . .