Subject: [Leica] filters for B&W
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 05:05:31 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> wrote:

> I'm always pushing a yellow green filter. It only absorbs a stop and
> improves a shot in every way, even people; makes for a perfect
balance
> between sky and earth.

Don't trees and grass look weird when they're lighter, though?

"Steve Unsworth" <steve.unsworth@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> but since I'll be scanning the negatives I'm thinking that I could
> always de-saturate colour negatives if something looked better in
> black and white.

This is something I've also considered.  If you're going to scan in
the images, other than ease of development, what advantages are there
to using B&W film?  It seems to me like if I shoot with color, I can
use Photoshop to convert the image to black and white.  In fact, I can
shoot without any filters on my lens, and then adjust the tonality by
color channel in Photoshop so that the end effect is as if I had used
a color filter on the lens, except I don't lose any light.

This is complete speculation, though.  I don't have a scanner (yet).
So I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work.  What's
wrong with my thinking?