Subject: Re: [Leica] Paris et al
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:37:51 -0700

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> The other funny thing about the "birthplace of photography" is that France
> has the toughest rules regarding the publication of candid photography. Every
> citizen has an absolute right to the use of his or her own image, and is
> entitled to compensation if  that image is used in any context whatsoever. A
> car crash victim can sue successfully if his photo ends up in a newspaper,
> for example. ALL photos require releases. Sometimes people angle to get into
> photos so they can sue later! This info comes from Reportage magazine,
> published in the UK. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Arthur,

Jeeeeeeeeeesh!!! I better get ready for a zillion law suits then.  No
wonder those guys kept following me around and seemingly appeared in the
scene just as I shot. :-)

But then, "Only in Paris you say?  Pity!"

Hey it's still a great place, but then only in France would they have
such a restrictive law regarding publication and people rights .  What
the hell would HCB do? After all, he must have photographed half the
French population over the years.

ted

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Paris et al)
Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Paris et al)