Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Contax G2: Cost
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:18:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/00 10:05:32 AM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

>I agree. Figure in sales taxes and instant depreciation too. Also, can
>I be
>alone in finding that it's only new cameras that have to be repaired under
>warranty? My secondhand leica stuff has always worked perfectly.

I figure that if I buy a 15-20 (or even 40) year old camera that is  working
when I buy it and HAS been working for someone else then there's a pretty
good chance it will continue to work for awhile. Now a camera that's been
sitting on a shelf is another question -- that's one reason why I'd just as
soon buy one that's got some battle scars as one that looks pristine. Sure it
might need a CLA down the road but you can time that at your convenience. I
bought a beater/used M3 for $550 and had S.K. do the whole nine yards to it
- -- CLA, M4 flash block, back leather and new strap eyelets. It cost $300 for
the repair but that brought it up to only $850. It's one heck of a $850
camera. I have two $700 M4-P bodies that are working fine but I willl send
them in and have checked over (one is there now in fact). I fully expect that
they will then be every bit as reliable, for just as long, as a brand new M6.
Personally, I can't see paying 2-3 times as much for "new" (it doesn't stay
new for long, you know) body and a simple meter. Now if Leica (or somebody)
would bring out an AE body with TTL flash metering I might consider taking
the plunge . . . but we don't want to take the discussion there again, do we?

Bob (like an old Leica, a little beat but still working) McEowen