Subject: Re: [Leica] Voiglander Ultron
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:23:20 -0700

Kurt Miska writes:

|At the risk of being flamed, exiled, shunned, ridiculed, etc. What's the
|general opinion of the Voigtländer 35/1.7 ASPH Ultron?

Well, the list is about rangefinder cameras and hopefully everyone got the
bile out of their system today while discussing the G2.

Erwin Puts' evaluation of the lens seems pretty accurate to me.  Also, Tom A
should have a few comment's that are in the LUG archive.

I have been using one since for about three months.  The as-built quality
seems on par with Leica.  The screw-on lens shade seems very durable and
really has not been off my lens since I bought it.  It takes 39mm screw mount
filters (I am able to use my existing Leitz filters).  It fits in very well
with my existing Leitz/Leica lenses in terms of the characteristics of the
picture.

You might note that Cosina has other 35mm lenses in production, including a
pancake lens.  The physical size of the Ultron is about that of the rigid
Summicron.  For the size of my hands, I am happy to give up compactness for
comfort and familiarity.

This is not a consensus, but if you have questions, e-mail me privately.

Bill Larsen  ohlen@sierratel.com