Subject: Re: [Leica] Choosing a 50mm Summicron
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:29:51 -0400

> Hi ...
>
> I recently acquired an M3 SS, which is my first Leica.  It came with a
> 50mm Summarit.  I'd like to supplement that lens with a 50mm Summicron.
> I've been reading a bit about the various models of these lenses (11817,
> 11819, and  others) and while there's a fair amount of technical
> information out there, I'd like to get some user impressions of these
> lenses.  Which ones do you like and for what reasons?

Shel,
I am not so sure that you need to supplement your Summarit with a 50mm
Summicron. The Summarit is the older sibling to the Summilux 1.4, my
personal dream lens. But since you are asking about the older Summicron's
this is what I think; first I also have the current version Summicron which
gives an excellent image, sharp as a razor blade, but maybe a little on the
'hard' side, looks very much like my Nikor 50/1.4. I also have a Summicron
collapsible which I use as much as the current version, gives a wonderful
creamy glow (but not as good as the Summarit) which is wonderful. Another 50
that I would recommend is the screw-mount Summitar collapsible which you
would need an adaptor to use on your M3, these lenses are dirt cheap and
excellent. When I want to shoot Agfa B&W 25 ASA the Summitar is the lens I
use and IMHO will blow you away.
Steve
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Choosing a 50mm Summicron)