Subject: Re: Noctilux Focusing (was Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative)
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:31:40 +1000

Simon wrote about focussing with the Noctilux, and Bob politely replied,

> I must be missing something here. How does lens speed have any effect on
> focusing EASE with a rangefinder. The need for greater focusing accuracy I
> can understand but since you're not looking through the lens it doesn't
> matter if you're using an f 1.0 or an f 11 -- does it? My viewfinder looks
> the same no matter what lens I'm using . . .
>
> Bob (that Noctilux must be something) McEowen

I'll venture to suggest that Simon's focussing in the dark problems have
been solved. Whenever I blush (often) it lights up the room enough for
even an F5 to get a focus.

But Simon, you do have a point.  While the Noctilux will allow you to
take pictures even if dim, it can be hard to get the focus right, on
film, due to the shallow depth.  But the results can still be pleasing,
in that Noctiluxy sort of way.

;-)

Regards

Rick Dykstra