Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Summicron-M Comparisons
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 22:38:24 -0700

At 9:29 PM -0500 5/25/00, Bud Cook wrote:
>I've been through the archives but didn't see anything that compares the new
>APO Summicron-M with the previous 55mm version of the 90 Summicron-M.  Has
>anyone had experience with both of them?  If so, what are your impressions?

Bud, I've had the A-A 90 for about 9 months now, and the difference is big.
Not as big as the difference between the old 35/1.4 and the ASPH, but big.
I took a roll using the old 90 (btw, optically the old 55mm version is the
same as the 49mm version with the one piece hood that came before it) the
new A-A and a thin T-E. The A-A at f/2 is sharper on Delta 100 than the T-E
ever gets, at any aperture. At around 5.6 or 8 the two f2 lenses are hard
to tell apart, but the A-A still wins. On HP5 it would be even harder to
tell. There is very little difference between f/2 and f/5.6 on the new A-A.

Basically, the A-A is as sharp at f/2 as you would expect any lens to be at
any aperture. Choose your f/stop based solely on light levels and DOF. The
old 90 was definitely soft at f/2, and even at 2.8 or f/4. Bokeh is very
good with the new lens, quite smooth, but with all the undercorrected
spherical aberration that the older lens had, the bokeh contest is still
won by the older lens. Only... at f/2, the older lens was all bokeh and no
really sharp image.

Other points: the new lens has virtually no light falloff at any aperture;
a huge difference to any other short tele I have ever used. Also, for IR
use, the new 90 does not have to be refocussed. This makes IR shooting with
a 90 a true pleasure.

All the new Apo and ASPH lenses for the M are amazing, and set new
standards, but in my opinion the A-A 90 is the best lens optically that
Leica makes for the M.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com