Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 top plate with bubble
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:51:55 -0600

The newer cameras (late M4-P and up (except titanium models and some special
editions) use a zinc composite top plate underneath the black or chrome
finish. If a scratch or pit develops in the finish and it is exposed to
moisture (especially salt water) it will start to corrode and bubble. It is
a good idea to touch up your finish if you hang out at the seashore or other
similar places. Why not use it as a bargaining point and get it cheap. Then
go to a good automotive paint place and get some neutralising agent and then
touch up with paint. Cameras with character look better than pristine ones.

John Collier