Subject: [Leica] Scanning B&W
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 02:46:08 EDT

In my digital darkroom, I scan B&W negatives and slides at 2438dpi with a
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual film scanner.  Almost every scanned image requires
use of the AUTOLEVELS and UNSHARP MASK functions in Adobe Photoshop before
being printed on my Epson Stylus Photo 750 inkjet printer.  Most of the time
I use additional Photoshop filters and functions.  I use a 3-year-old Apple
PowerPC Mac that is slow by today's standards, but gets the job done!  Both
scanner and printer software have options for controlling contrast,
brightness, etc., but I have been advised to do all the image manipulation in
Photoshop as their software is far more sophisticated (and expensive!).
However I do crop the image in the scanner before making the final scan and
importing it into Photoshop.  If I use Epson Photo Quality Glossy Paper and
print at 1440 dpi, the ouput is indistinguishable from a traditional B&W
print.  I hope this information helps!

Muhammad Chishty

Muhammad R.K. Chishty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Finance