Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy Wars Redux: Leica vs. Zeiss (long)
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 19:35:57 -0400

Rick Floyd jotted down the following:

> I don't know about the 135, but I specifically remember Mike praising the
> character of the 85 which happens to be a favorite of mine as well.

Ah, but my point was not about whether Mike liked the bokeh of the Zeiss
lenses or not, but whether or not they were renouned for having good bokeh.
In the Zeiss camp, at least, the 85/1.4 and 135/2.8 definately are.  Same
goes for Zeiss zooms.

However, interestingly enough, I find that many Hassy lenses don't have very
nice bokeh.  The 150/4 in particular seems to have pretty harsh bokeh, which
isn't helped by the pentagonal aperture opening, which makes OOF rendition
look like subliminal marketing for the US DOD.  I'm guessing that the
100/3.5 and 120 Macro should have nicer bokeh, in part due to their
symmetrical, modified double-Gauss construction.  Any Hassy owners care to
comment?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                 | Super Cali goes ballistic, Celtics are
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   | atrocious.
email: howard.390@osu.edu     |       -- British sports headline.