Subject: [Leica] Talking about good books
From: Borges & Marinho Fotografia <borges@marinho.com.br>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:10:07 -0300

  Talking about good books, I found one few years ago in a flea market that
I consider a very good reading for all the Photographers including the Zone
System Club and
Fine Art Brotherwood(wich I'm member).

  PHOTOGRAPHY Artistic and Scientific
  by Robert Johnson and Arthur Brunel Chatwood
  London, Downey and Co. York Street, Covent Garden, W.C.  1895

  In one of the chapters, they wrote:

  "The aim of the photographer should be to produce by means of his camera,
and by the aid of greater or less technical skill, not merely exact and
minute copies of the objects wich he photographs, but photographs wich
shall be the expression of his feeling and taste, and as such shall be
entitled to rank as work of art. We are well aware that very few
photographers look on their work from this point of view; they claim the
title of Artist, but are ignorant of even the elementary laws of art. An
amateur of exceptional technical skill showed us not long ago a negative of
wich he was most proud; it had in all the elements wich might with a little
taste have made a picture, but he expectd us to admire it only on account
of its technical perfection and sharpness. One might read an advertising
"Beecham's Pills" standing in the middle of a field some half mile distant.

  Nothing sounds more actual than this Book from 1895 !!  In fact, I think
this book is a kind of photography Bible, maybe was wrote by Nostradamus...

  Sorry about the Size of this email, but I tough I would share this with
all my friends from Lug.

  Regards,

  Luiz Marinho
  Sao Paulo - Brasil