Subject: [Leica] Re: >> Michael Scarpitti
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:00:41 -0700

>> You don't NEED larger formats with
>>Kodachrome.
>>
>> Michael Scarpitti

This, simply, is so far from the truth, it is pathetic.

Even an idiot knows that a 4x5 E6 transparency, which is 20 times larger
than a 35mm transparency, will enlarge to grainless, critically sharp
prints, far greater in size, than you can even possibly imagine doing with
a 35mm Kodachrome transparency. Leica lenses or not. A 35mm piece of film,
of any origin, just cannot be stretched to the equal of a 4x5 piece of
film. And look at the work done with 8x10 cameras. 80x the size of a 35mm
original. This is a no brainer!

Maybe "you" personally don't need larger formats. But my customers, that
buy my prints (minimum size is 30x40, up to 48x60) would no longer be my
customers if I used 35mm for these photographs. As my customers say, "they
look so real, you can walk right in."

I have been doing this for a very long time. I paid dearly for the best
possible photographic education. Brooks Institute of Photography. I know
and use all of the "tricks" for obtaining the sharpest possible
photographs. I have many Leica lenses. I have tons of Leica-Kodachrome
slides. When you get past 20x24, it is very easy to tell that the original
is 35mm. Period. No amount of weasel wording will change this fact.

So, Mr. Scarpitti, unless you do this routinely, as I do, you should not
make stupid statements like "You don't NEED larger formats with Kodachrome"
as it clearly shows your depth of knowledge on the subject.

I think Kodachrome is a great film. It is NOT a panacea by any stretch of
the imagination. When you have "serious" work to do, you use the best tools
available, to do the best job possible, with the least risk possible. Now
days, this means E6.

Jim