Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome Film
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:33:18 EDT

I don't understand why using Kodachrome slide film is such a controversial
issue!  Yes, the colors are less saturated compared to the current crop of E6
films such as Velvia or the new Kodak E100 VS.  But the Kodachrome films'
color palette has a beauty of its own.

I shoot Velvia, Provia or the new E100 VS most of the time for landscapes
(and cityscapes).  But I shoot at least a dozen rolls of K25 and K64 every
year for regular family photos and trips.  Skin tones on Velvia are two warm
for my liking.  Even K25 seems to be warmer than K64.  I have used K200 a few
times in low light situations.  It is a very sharp but very grainy film.  It
is better to push Provia one or two stops in those cases.

And yes, I like Kodachrome because I love the photos in National Geographic
Magazine which used K-films exclusively for many decades.  Only recently have
they started using other slide films.  I love the work of David Alan Harvey,
William Albert Allard, James Stanfield and other NGS photographers who have
created timeless color images with Leica cameras and K-films.

I don't see any reason to use one type of slide film exclusively.  It is
better to use film that is fit for the type of image desired by the
photographer.

OK, I have put on my bullet proof vest now!  You folks can start shooting!

Muhammad Chishty

Muhammad R.K. Chishty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Finance
Graham School of Management