Subject: Re: [Leica] the slow horrible death of leica
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:48:32 -0400

Actually...despite the "Leitz..camera" story...the truth is that Oskar
himself is reponsible for the Leica name.  As we know, Herr Barnack was a
fun-loving party animal, given to knocking down a few Munich brews and
listening to the day's underground music...jazz.  He and his freunds would
gather in Oskar's pad on Saturday nights and groove to the tunes on his
Victrola.  One evening he had left his new invention on the coffee table
during the party and one of his buds picked it up.  In an age of box
Brownies and unwieldy bellows cameras, the friend didn't recognize the
device.  "What is it, man?", he asked.

Oskar replied, "It's, like, a camera...."

Craig
Boston