Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2000 14:18:25 -0700

On Fri, 02 June 2000, "William Gower" wrote:

> Regarding the SL:
>
> I've been pondering how to jump into Leica R for a while now. The used
> market is the most cost-effective method, however, the main thing
> discouraging me is the electronic shutters on the R series. And R3 and R4's
> are getting to the 20 year old mark now.
>
> While I agree that Leica's are wonderfully overbuilt cameras, an electronic
> shutter is still an electronic shutter, and eventually, they WILL die, parts
> become unavailable, etc. Ok, sure ANY shutter will eventually fail, but most
> likely someone, SOMEWHERE will be able to fix our mechanical shutters. Even
> if they have to make the parts by hand.
>
> ...but the SL and SL2 suddenly appeals to my inherent love of mechanical
> cameras.
>
> How "like a tank" is it ? My Nikon F and (even more so) my F2 (both with
> standard non-metering prisms) are the most "tank like" cameras I've ever
> hauled around. Wonderfully durable hand-built cameras, titanium shutters and
> mirror assemblies, black enamel finish -  love them or not, to disregard the
> F and F2's legendary durability would be simply ignorant.
>
> Is the SL even more so ? I'd be curious to hear people's opinions who have
> extensively used both.
>

> Regards
>

> William

William,

I used a pair of Nikon F bodies for 10 years before I made the jmp to Leicaflex in 1979.  Aside from the @%&* resistor rings they never gave me any trouble related to normal use.  The only trouble I've gotten from a used Leicaflex SL was a broken battery contact on a body that I bought as a beater.  The one I bought new had some "new camera" bugs that had to be fixed.  Other than this the SL's have been trouble-free, even when doused in rain, snow, or Deep Woods Off, dropped on to concrete, and generally given more abuse than I gave the Nikons.  I dropped one F body once & cracked the main casting, fortunately it didn't compromise the light-tightness or structural integrity so I just kept using it.  Of the SLs I've dropped, I got a dent once from a tree root (no functional problem) and some light scratches from the concrete.  When this happens I just pick it up & keep working.

The real difference between the SL and the F is sensory.  After a few seconds with the SL in your hands, even a beat-up well-used sample, you will realize how crude the F is by comparison.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!