Subject: [Leica] M2 with rubber M6 eyepiece as replacement problem
From: Badris <badris@virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:24:58 -0400

Hello everyone,

just got hold of an M2 a few weeks ago, my first leica, and have been using
it as a regular shooter alongside my other gear. My question relates to my
ever-frustrating experiences with early M leicas (or more specifically, the
metal eyepiece of early M leicas). i'm an eyeglass wearer, and it scratches
the heck out of my glasses.

tried the tape and moleskin solution, but it's kinda funky and it's not for
me. was fortunate enough to come across a rubber eyepiece made for the M6,
but when i put it on my M2 it distorted the viewfinder even more and my eye
had to strain itself to get a normal viewfinder image. i have reason to
suspect the eyepiece is not the 'standard' M6 eyepiece but rather a diopter
correction eyepiece, but it could also be something about the different
viewfinders of the M2 and M6 that is causing this.

Question: have other M2 (or M3/M4) users with M6 style rubber eyepiece on
their cameras experienced this problem, or is it just me with a
non-standard M6 rubber eyepiece? if so, which eyepiece (or perhaps,
dioptric correction eyepiece) would i need to gain the 'normal' diopter
image of the M2 with its metal eyepiece? better still, anyone know the part
# of the eyepiece i would need?

Thanks for the help, be well.
Badris.

"Photojournalism is not an art, but the best photojournalists are artists."
- - Roger Richards.

Replies: Reply from Badris <badris@virginia.edu> (Re: [Leica] M2 with rubber M6 eyepiece as replacement problem)