Subject: Re: [Leica] Metz Wireless TTL Systems
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 08:49:06 +0000

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> Has anyone used the Metz Wireless TTL systems?  I've only had a little
> play with a couple of 50MZ-5s in a shop - no on-film results.  It looks
> promising from my 50's instruction book, but there was something about
> setting 1/60th as the highest shutter speed, which could be a less than
> ideal limitation.

 Rick,
I don't have direct experience, but have researched it when looking to
develop a smaller, easier kit for traveling.  The Metz, I understand, is
identical and interchangeable with the Minolta system.  Yes, 1/60, due
to speed of the IR coded triggering.  This is seldom a problem.
Outside, where shutter speed an issue for flash fill you generally only
use one light anyway.  Inside or in dark, well less than 1/60 usually
anyway.

Both the Ikelite "LiteLink" device and the Nikon SD-6 flash trigger will
offer essentially the same cordless ttl without the 1/60 limitation.
You could use either on the metz with Nikon subunit.  The Litelink is
either C or N, but it doesn't care what brand strobe it is triggered by.

Jim Cook, creator of Inview/Stockview software and a long time PJ and
now gallery-style shooter (concentrating on Native American topics) uses
Minolta.  Says it is wonderful to just walk into a room, scatter several
flash units around and open fire.  Very difficult to make bad exposure,
he says.

donal
- --
Donal Philby