Subject: [Leica] DEADLINE Something Useful-- Book List
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:18:34 +1000

     A.- Favorite Leica Toy (equipment) book
Leica; a history illustrating every model and accessory
Paul-henry Ban Hasbroeck ISBN  0 85667 4303
(full of faults I'm sure, and not enough editorial comment for me, but I'm
filling it in with the LUG -- if the LUG had an ISBN, it would win ;-) )

     B.- Favorite Picture book (non-Leica photographers are permitted)
1 Australian (the photography): The Endurance; photographs by Frank Hurley
1914 Caroline Alexander ISBN  0 7475 4670 3
Not only is this a wonderful picture book, its a wonderful story. First
published 1998, its a bargain on Amazon.com. Perhaps this doesn't really
fit the criteria, being an illustrated story, but the images of the Journey
by Hurley are something not to be missed. His work on earlier Antarctic
exhibitions is also legendary.

2 Inspirational: Werner Bischof ISBN  0 500 09215 X
The book of the exhibition of his life and work produced in 1990 was an
inspiration to me. The first time I had really seen art in
street/photojournalism (apart from the humour in HCB). Bischof had an
artistic eye, an humanitarian heart, and a photographers reflexes and
training. It is a wonderful body of work.

     C.- Favorite Non-Photo Photo book. (biographies, etc.)
1. The Shorter Oxford Dictionary.
2. The complete works of Shakespeare
Both these works are wonderfully imaginative, and their use of the language
is at times photographic, but I'm sidetracking - my vote goes to

A Certain Slant of Light; William F Robinson -- The first 100 years of New
England Photography 1980 ISBN 0 8212 0752 0

This book was the first one to open my eyes to the review of photography in
the course of history. A simple book, concentrating on a smaller topic, but
with a wider message.

Alastair Firkin