Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL2 advice?
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:34:34 -0700

On Mon, 05 June 2000, "Joe B." wrote:

> Could anyone advise if there is anything specifically to look out for when
> buying an SL2? If not intending to use the motor, would an SL2 MOT
> otherwise be just as good as a straight SL2? TIA for any info.
>
> Joe B.

You should be sure the viewfinder is in good condition.  Watch for evidence of prism separation or screen yellowing.  The prism is expensive to replace.  As far as I know, the SL2 MOT has stronger winding gears than the non-MOT SL2.  It also lacks a self-timer.

The last run of SL2 MOT bodies was made just a few years ago; the specualtion was that when Leica Camera moved from Wetzlar to Solms, they had enough spare parts to make a run of these bodies but apparently some parts nessesary for motor operation were not available so they were sold as SL2 MOT/will not work with motor drive.  My guess is they were all snapped up by collectors.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!