Subject: Re: [Leica] Another great Leica Sushi Meet & Greet! :-)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 02:29:17 EDT

With Leicas snapping and Hexar whirring (in the hands of near convert/heretic
Tom A) a fine time was had by all at the grand Victoria LUG pilgrimage.
Object of the pilgrims' journey was to meet his eminence Ted Grant and record
the historic meeting of the clans, represented by a fabulous assortment of
single malts (with nary a whiff of the fine stuff needed to get Leica tales
and photo fables flowing). Irene tried to keep some semblance of sanity and
decorum whilst the menfolk devolved into babbling gearheads, ooh-ing and
ah-ing over the tragedy of the tumbling Vario-Elmar (and coming to the
conclusion that there may very well be a repair person capable of fixing what
Solms feared to touch). Fine food circulated and was enjoyed as much as the
conversation.

For me, coming from China and mainly acquainted with Ted through the LUG
(though it transpires we have a number of mutual friends in the biz), it was
wonderful to meet a living legend who is also a great host and fine
raconteur, then to see the photos he showed us. And what photos! Sandy put
together a couple of slide shows of recent R colour and earlier M black and
white work that was quite breathtaking: I hope that a website and more books
showing Ted's sensitively observed work is forthcoming. No need to discuss
which lens or film when seeing such obvious compassion and understanding for
subjects in distress or in joyful situations: clearly a master craftsman and
more importantly someone motivated by a love of people and desire to
understand and pass on his understanding. I was greatly moved.

Hope to get some images on the web of this gathering when I return to base in
China in a couple of weeks (unless beaten to it by a swifter fellow). In the
meantime I send an e-toast to Ted and Irene and commend them to you all.

Vacationing in Vancouver,

Adrian Bradshaw

My sincere thanks to Ted and Irene for their hospitality during my visit to
Victoria over the weekend.   As Adrian put it, the highlight of the visit was
the slide show of the breathtaking photos by Ted.   Although I already have
Ted's book 'This is Our Work', I continued to be moved by the images as they
appeared one after another on the screen.   They are truly motivating and
have inspired me to be a better physician.

This was my second visit to the Grants and I am sure I will return this next
year!

Back in rainy Vancouver…..

Joseph Yao