Subject: [Leica] Suggested Leica Reading List- PICTUREBOOKS
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:26:17 -0400

SUGGESTED LEICA READING LIST- Part One-- PICTURE BOOKS
The books are in alphabetical order by author. No one will accept any
responsibility for errors. Selections were recommended by member of the
Leica Users group and the Leica Enthusiasts Group. Quotes following each
book are from the person who has read the book. (I hope!). Enjoy!

ALEXANDER,Caroline
    "Australian (the photography): The Endurance; photographs by Frank
Hurley 1914" 1998 ISBN  0 7475 4670 3
        Not only is this a wonderful picture book, its a wonderful story.
The images of the Journey by Hurley are something                 not to be
missed. His work on earlier Antarctic exhibitions is also legendary. --
Alstair Firkin

BURROWS, Larry
    " Larry Burrows Compassionate Photographer" by The Editors of Life,
Time-Life Books, 1972; ISBN 72-88529
         The posthumous collection of the photographs of this world class
photographer and gentleman.--  Sal DiMarco, Jr.

CARTIER-BRESSON, Henri
    "The World of Henri Cartier-Bresson"    The Viking Press, 1968  (No Id
number in book)
        The best collection. I've seen of the great man's work.-- Buzz
Hausner
    "The Decisive Moment"    Simon & Schuster, 1952
         I turned down a trade with a Mint M3 for that book. Itis not easy
to find and gives more enjoyment than a M3. --
                Tom Abrahammson

DEPARDON, Raymond
 "Voyages"    Hazan, ISBN 2-85025- 642-0.
         Relatively unknown among Magnum's members, but his travel shots
from Africa are interesting and his diary from a              month in New
York carries on the tradition of Robert Frank's "The Americans." -- Tom
Abrahammson

DUNCAN, David Douglas
    "This Is War"  Published first in 1951. Little Brown, 1990,
        Duncan's photos taken during the Korean war. He shot with a Leica,
but with Nikon lenses! -- Uwe Flammer

"New York, New York - Masterworks of a Street Peddler" McGraw-Hill Book
Company, 1984, ISBN 0-07-018208-6
 From the jacket liner: "George Forss was born in the South Bronx. He
sellsphotographs of New York on the sidewalk. The photographs are
stunningly, hauntingly beautiful I've ever seen. -- Godfrey DiGiorgi

EDGREN, Gretchen
    "The Playmate Book"    Donnelley & Son, 1996 ISBN 1-85410-449-7
            Pascal Heyman

EDMAIER, Berhard
        "GeoArt"  publisher: BVL Verlagsgesellshaft, 1998.
            This is an extraordinary landscape book. My favorite of the
week, maybe the month. -- Jean-Claude Berger

EISENSTAEDT, Alfred
    "The Eye of Eisenstaedt"  The Viking Press, 1969 ISBN-69-17970
        The way a great photographer sees. My great inspiration as a
teenager with my father's M3 and M2. Full of  Leica                  photos
and descriptions of people and history.  A  true master!-- Terry Maltby
    "Eisenstaedt Remembrances"    Bulfinch Press, 1990, ISBN 0-8212-1778-X
            David L. Dodd

FAAS, Horst & PAGE, Tim
    "Requiem"     Random House; 1997 ISBN 0-679-45657-0
         A wide assortment of stunning, often disturbing work by many of the
greats, both well known - Burrows, Capa, etc.and
         unknown outside of limited photos circles. A magnificent volume. --
B.D. Colen

FEININGER, Andreas
    " Feininger's Chicago 1941". Dover Publishers, 1980 ISBN 0486239918.
              Dude knows light. --  Martin Howard

FRANK, Robert
    "The Americans"    Paperback -  3rd Scalo edition,  Scalo Verlag Ac,
1998; ISBN: 3931141802
        Johnny Brownlow

FREY, Verena, Editor
    "75 Years of Leica Photography"    The Leica Camera Group, 1990, Leica
Order  No. 942 - 150   1990
        An extremely inspirational book simply because it illustrates how
many variations of photography can be enjoyed using             a Leica, M
or R. This book makes you want to get your ass out the door and take
pictures! -- Ted Grant

GIBSON, Ralph
    "The Spirit of Burgundy"     Aperture, ISBN 0-89381-576-4
        A loving, lyrical portrait of the Burgundy region of France. -- Mark
E Davison

GRANT, Ted
    "Our Work is Our Work The  Legacy of Sir William Osler"    Self
published, 1994, ISBN:  0-9698568-0-6
             It's motivational, interesting and I just like it. -- Ted Grant

HAAS, Ernst
    "The Creation"     The Viking Press, Inc., 1971, ISBN 670-24583-6
        Needs no introduction. - Sandor Nagy
    "Ernst Haas Color Photography"    Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers ISBN
0-8109-1173-6
        I like to look at this book usually during the height of  our cold,
dark, gray, foreboding Cleveland, Ohio winters, his
photography can take me out of feeling depressed in no time! -- Richard
Palmer

KERTESZ, Andre
    "On Reading"    Grossman Publishers, 1971 , ISBN 670-52459-X,
               Henning J. Wulff
    " Diary of Light 1912-1985"  Aperture.  ISBN 0-89381-256-0. 1986
            Absolutely gorgeous book. Big and the definitive book of this
pioneer of candid photography. --
                Eric Welch

KILLIP, Chris
        "In Flagrante"    Secker & Warburg, 1988, ISBN 0-436-23356-8
             The one book of photography I keep going back too. -- Tim
Atherton

LARTIGUE, Jacques
    "Diary of a Century", Viking Press, 1970, ISBN 670-27218-3
        An amazing photographic history of the 20th Century (through 1970)
and biography. -- Jay Coleman

LESTER, Henry M.
    See Morgan, Willard

LINK, Winston O.
    "Steam Steel & Stars" : Harry N. Abrams, Inc. ISBN: 0810981858
(Hardback) ISBN: 0810925877 (Paperback).
            He photographed the last days of Norfolk and Western Railway's
steam era at night with elaborate multiple-flash rigs.
            Spectacular work! -- Mike Durling

MARK, Mary Ellen
      "Falkland Road,"     T&H 1981, ISBN 0-500-02723-01
            Possibly the best photo book about an Indian subject by a
western shooter. Sublime color, compassionate
            approach. Limiting herself to prostitution as a personal
predicament rather than an organized criminal racket. --
                     Rob Appleby

MARSHALL,Jim
    "Not Fade Away" Bulfinch Press, 1997, ", ISBN 3-283-00347-5
            Hans Peter Lammerich

McCURRY, Steve
    "Portraits"    Phaidon, 1999, ISBN 0-7148-3839-X
            Paul Bolam

MILLER, Peter & Scully Julia.
    "Disfarmer: Heber Springs Portraits, 1939-1946 Photographs by Mike
Disfarmer"   Twin Palms Publishers, ISBN 0-            944092-38-1
        Johnny Brownlow

MORGAN, Willard
    "Leica Manual"-   Any 1950s edition, Morgan & Lester, New York.
        These are not 'photo books' per se, the photos which illustrate them
are pleasing to my eye, and remind me how little I
        have learned in 40 years as a photographer about the art of picture
making.  -- Doug Richardson

MYDANS, Carl
    "Carl Mydans Photojournalist"     Harry N.Abrams, Inc., 1985,  ISBN
0-8109-1323-2
            A great collection of photos from a man who invented "Been
There, Done That." -- Sal DiMarco, Jr.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY
    "The Book of Birds"    1925
            Benny McBeth

NEUBAUER, Hendrik
    "Black Star, 60 Years of Photojournalism,"    Konemann, 1997, ISBN
3-8950-250-3
        Bill Caldwell

PAGE, Tim,
        See Faas, Horst

PLACHYS, Sylvia
    "Sylvia Plachys' Unguided Tour"   Aperture, 1998. ISBN 0-89381-431-8
            Joe Stephenson

SALGADO, Sebasatiao
    "Workers : An Archaeology of the Industrial Age"         Aperture, 1993
ISBN: 089381525X
            Bernard Degaute

SALOMON, Erich
        "Portrait of An Age"  Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc., 1967,  ISBN
0-02-000820-1
            Salomon who pioneered photojournalism during the 1920's and
early 30s with a miniature camera, the Ermanox, a
            forerunner of the Leica. He was died in a Nazi concentration
camp. But his art goes on. -- George Berger

SCULLY, Julia
        See MILLER, Peter

SUDEK, Josef
    "Prague Panoramic"    Odeon, 1992, ISBN 80-207-0367-5
        Henning J. Wulff

TOMASZEWSKI, Tomasz (photographer)
    "Remnants: The Last Jews Of Poland," by Malgorzata Niezabitowska (text),
Friendly Press Inc., 1986,  ISBN 0-91491905-9
            The book launched Tomaszewski's career at the National
Geographic. Plenty of evidence of Tomaszewski's talent                 as  a
fly-on-the-wall shooter and incredible ability to access a then-unknow
story. He's a Leica M and R
            user." --  Emanuel Lowi

VARIOUS
    "The Photography Book"  Phaidon Press, 1997, ISBN 0-7148-3634-6
        Five hundred different pictures by 500 different photographers,
mostly modern, with bios and a little piece about each
         picture. Any time I lack inspiration I flip through it, and I
always find something I didn't notice before. --Michael Darnton

VISHNIAC, Roman
    "A Vanished World"    Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1983 ISBN 0-374-28247-1
              A remarkable work. -- David L. Dodd

WESTON, Edward
    "Formes de la Passion" - Seuil Edition (Paris) ISBN 2-02-022928-5
        It's the best on one of the greatest photographer of these
times.--Bernard Degaute

WINOGRAND, Garry
    "The Man in the Crowd: the Uneasy Streets of Garry Winogrand" Fraenkel
Gallery, 1999, ISBN 1-881337-05-7
                Dan Honeman
    "Figments from the Real World"   Museum of Modern Art,  1988, ISBN
0-87070-640-3
            Robert Schneider

WOLFF, Paul
    "My First Ten Years With The Leica"    B. Westermann Co. 1935 First
English trans. ed.
        Dr. Wolf was with Leica from the early days, and the book shows the
range of possibilities the 35 mm camera  opened
        up, portraits, landscapes, close-up, scientific, medical, candids,
abstract, journalism and sports. We take all of  this for
granted today, but it must have been exciting to explore what the Leica
system could do. -- Noel Charchuk

YAMAHATA, Yosuke
        "Nagasaki Journey" Pomegranate Artbooks 1995, ISBN 0-87654-360-3
         Yamahata was the first military photographer in Nagasaki after
the bombing. Very disturbing book, but fantastic. --
                Gary Elshaw