Subject: [Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art"
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:47:10 -0700

<<<
Well let's see. Her photos seem dreamy,  technically poor, unfocused and
mostly pointless. Also amateurish and not "well seen."  Sad in a way that I
find .... depressed and depressing; she sure sounded depressed when I heard
her speak.   I guess part of the problem is her (eastern) European
sensibility and her overwhelming sense of loss.  I just don't get it.

Who the hell is Sylvia Plachy? Is she a friend of Eggleston?

My daughter (Jillian) and her friend (Jane), taking advanced photography in
college, entered three photographs each (the max) that were matted and
framed, for the college art exhibit. 11x14 B&W prints. Great dynamic range,
good tones, really sharp, Ilford Warmtone, beautiful prints. Of the 200 or
so artists that submitted work (up to three pieces each) only 70 pieces
were chosen. Jillian had all three chosen and Jane had two. Pretty good
averages for these two.

Last night was the Art Exhibit open house, so we all went. there were
probably eight other photographs, most were very good. Infrared,
Ilfochrome, etc. There were some really good oils, water colors, modern art
pieces, etc. There was, of course, the usual "what the hell is it category"
(my designation) of hacked up mannequins to a piece of firewood sitting on
a pedestal. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

But there was a photograph, that defied explanation as to how it got in.
And it won the photo category. It was a 5x7 machine print of a cat looking
over the shoulder of its owner. Point & shoot. Flat lifeless, low
resolution print. Glued onto a matt board, not matted, you get the drift. I
stood by it for awhile and listened to folks comments. Not a single good
comment. "Why is that picture in here?" "I've taken a better picture than
that with my Snappy." "Geez... what a ridiculous picture to have in an art
exhibit." etc, etc, etc...

And the college photo instructors were there as well. I cannot repeat on
the LUG what they said to me about the fact that "that" photograph actually
got exhibited, and I R-E-A-L-L-Y cannot repeat what they said about its
winning. They must have been in the US Navy before they became photographers.

But I guess this tells you something about the folks that pick Art. It also
tells you something about the definition of the word "Art."

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art")
Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art")