Subject: [Leica] <no subject>
From: "sam" <salex@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 08:53:48 -0400

re:
> As for people who want their black-paint M6s to brass and fade: get a
> life! And for those who are buying them to simply stash them and sell
> them 40 years on, I say: I think I've made more money in the stock
> market. I'd still rather buy 100 shares of Microsoft than a black-paint
> M6.

I think you're missing a point here. The "brass and fade" effect is called
patina. . .and is more than just a cosmetic alteration. In numismatics,
attractively toned coins are, IMO, more aesthetically pleasing than shiny
mint ones. Some people like leather coats with a patina. . .an old wooden
handtool with the marks of long skillfull use - signs of a human using
the tool - like the small penknife my grandfather handed down to me. . .the
blade half worn from years of sharpening . . .and so on. I have always
considered the cameras I've used as tools. The Leica is a tool, and the
brassing that results from use is like the owner's logbook. I agree that
putting one away as an investment doesn't make much sense. . .and it's up to
each individual whether the extra cost to have an instrument that will brass
and fade is justified. I think it is.

sam

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] Oh Barf! Patina, Pashmina!)